Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pay Attention!


Hebrews 2:1-4
1. We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 2. For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, 3. how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. 4. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

When I was a kid in school it was always very difficult to stay focused and to pay attention to what was being said. It seemed that even the best topic had a limited ability to keep me from wandering and begin dreaming of the things I wanted to be doing instead of sitting in that class room. It is now 20 to 30 years later and I am finding the same problem occurs on a daily basis. The Lord is longing for my attention and focus but I keep taking my eyes off of Him and dreaming about what I would rather be doing. The older I get the more I also spend time day dreaming about my past and thinking about things that should had been changed and lessons that have been learned. I wish that I was not so easily distracted. This scripture out of Hebrews is a great reminder to me to pay attention.

There are too many people that are falling into a daze, only to find when they wake up they have been adrift for some time. May this not be! Jesus came to give us life. He has brought salvation for you and me at a great cost.

Ways to Pay Attention
1. Slap Yourself- Put yourself in situations that will force you to fall on your knees and ask the Lord for help.
2. Exercise- Yes, I am talking about physical exercise as well as exercising our faith. Both our bodies and our faith will become sluggish if we do not keep them active.
3. Worship- Being in God’s presence is like dumping a bucket of cold water on life. The Holy Spirit will keep us alert and focused.
4. Search God’s Word- Read it daily! Allow Him to speak into your life through the amazing power of His word. It is like getting an electric shock. I need one of those on a daily basis.

Lord,
Please help me pay attention to you and what you are doing. I keep looking around at the chaos, pain, despair, and brokenness and it seems to put me in a trance. Then while in this trance I begin drifting. There are too many important things in my daily life that need attention for me to begin drifting. Please protect my marriage. Help me raise my children. Give me the faith to keep giving- even when finances are scary. Show me how to be there for my friends—especially those who are struggling. Thank you Lord for loving me though I lose my focus so easily.

Love your boy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Came across your blog today and I wanted to leave you a comment.
It was a good Word today for me. I have just been trying lately to get my focus as I should and keep it there. It is tuff. So many things in each day to steal it away. Thank you for sharing. In the times we are living in, keeping that focus will become more and more needful.

Have a blessed day!

Unknown said...

Exactly what I needed to hear. Unfortunately God has given me this message many times over the past few weeks. I WANT TO LISTEN AND BE OBEDIENT! uggggghhhh.