Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 14



I had the great pleasure of loafing on the couch today and watched a Harrison Ford movie called "Clear and Present Danger." OK—for those who know me—I did fall asleep during part of it, but there was a part of the movie that encouraged my heart today. In the movie there were men that were left behind and Harrison Ford and the other general were going into the enemy's lands to get their men out. Harrison Ford turned and asked the general, “Where are the men?” The general quickly answered him in a protective and determined voice and said (paraphrased), “They are not just any men. They are MY men!” Then they did amazing feats of running, jumping and shooting and saved the men. As I watched this part of the movie, I was encouraged because the Lord calls us His own. He loves us and wants to protect us so much that He gave His very life to save us out of our mess. Harrison Ford may show us what feats a man might go through to protect the people he cares about, and yet, there is only one story in all of history that expresses the love our God has for us-- the story of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

When Melissa and I left Las Vegas to come to Virginia, we knew that this was just the beginning of the path the Lord would use to create health and strength in our marriage, family, and in our personal lives. He has put amazing people in our lives every step of the way, placed us in a church that had something special for each member of our family, helped us find the perfect home, good jobs, good friends, and a whole lot of great memories. With all of these wonderful things that He has done in the last year, why is it that, at times, the thought of tomorrow is overwhelming? I wish my brain wasn’t so broken! He has called me his own and cares more about where my family lives, works, and plants roots than I do. I could imagine God having a conversation about us and telling that second party, “They are not just children, they are MY children!” It helps my heart and brain so much to know that I belong to my God and He has taken interest in my life. Which also means He has taken care of every day of my life and I just need to be obedient to Him.

Matthew 6:30-33
Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen. I need these posts every day probably as much as you need to write them. Continually praying for you guys. Love you all.