Monday, November 3, 2008

In God's Embrace



I see the light
and his truth therein.
I hear his voice in
The whispering wind.
I gaze upon the mountaintops
and I see his majesty.
I walk through the woods
and feel his presence deep within myself.
I stand in awe of the world in which I live,
and in the stillness, I know he is God.

Robin Ferguson

Melissa and I went out and took a walk this evening. As we walked, we could see the sun setting on the rolling hills, grazing cows in the distance, (yes, I did say “cows”!) and the majestic trees in all of their colors telling us that autumn has arrived. For a moment, I had to just stop and ask myself, “Where am I?” The more that we walked and talked, the more the answer to that question became very evident. We are in the center of God’s embrace. It is funny to me how easily my mind can become distraught with the belief that I am somehow a prisoner to the changes and circumstances of life, when in fact, in some strange way, God has used those very changes and circumstances to bring new freedoms. Truth be told, the only thing that is wrapped around me and holding me in place are the very arms of my God. He is not holding me in place to punish me but to bring protection and comfort. He knows what is needed for this season of life and has an amazing plan to use the now to prepare my wife and me for our tomorrow.

My encouragement for you this week comes at you with a few deep thoughts from the broken brain of a mad man…

• Does God have the ability to weave His everlasting love in between and throughout the plans of the most deranged?

• Are you sure that the desert you are walking through is not a mirage caused by spiritual dehydration?

• If surrendering was the only way to find hope, would you spare any resource to bring that person you love to their knees? What are God’s resources?

• Most people think that God has left them- but in truth, they simply do not recognize Him. Do you know what He looks like?

• If I am truly only responsible for my actions, why do I spend so much time trying to figure out why others do what they do?

If you have any great insights that are formed from these deep queries I would love to hear your mind at work. The scripture that the Lord has placed on my heart this week is out of 1 Corinthians. The key to the promise that you are about to read is contingent upon your availability and surrender to God and His plans for you.

1 Corinthians 2:9-10
However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"
but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.


In closing, I am aware that this weeks devotional teaching is a bit eclectic but that is a great representation of what the Lord is doing in my life. He is not just dealing with me in one particular area but is using this time of rest to inspect and prune all of the individual thoughts and attitudes of my heart. Here is the tricky part though. He will not force me to come into His arms. That choice has always been reserved for me to choose. Just as it is with you! Take some time today and ask the Lord what He might want to talk to you about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my quick attempt at answering the eclectic questions:

• DOES GOD HAVE THE ABILITY TO WEAVE HIS EVERLASTING LOVE IN BETWEEN AND THROUGHOUT THE PLANS OF THE MOST DERANGED?
Our marriage study ended this week, and it had some really great points to make over the past two months. One of the final points that the speaker from the video mentioned was the story of David and Bathsheba. While killing Uriah was obviously wrong, Solomon came to life via that affair. The wise King Solomon gave Israel some of its most prosperous years and he was the result of a deranged sin. I thought of this story when I read question one.

• ARE YOU SURE THAT THE DESERT YOU ARE WALKING THROUGH IS NOT A MIRAGE CAUSED BY SPIRITUAL DEHYDRATION?
I'm reminded of physical dehydration, and that it's easier to be dehydrated instead of overly hydrated. A while back there was a contest for a Nintendo Wii. Contestants had to drink as much water as they could without going to the bathroom. One contestant died of water intoxication. That was only water intoxication. Imagine all the long-term damage that comes with other liquids and foods! While I can't fathom overdosing on God's Word, I can imagine overdosing on other negative things. It's pretty simple: if our focus is not on God, we aren't fully hydrated. Just like a real desert, when we are in a spiritual desert our hydration is most crucial.

• IF SURRENDERING WAS THE ONLY WAY TO FIND HOPE, WOULD YOU SPARE ANY RESOURCE TO BRING THAT PERSON YOU LOVE TO THEIR KNEES? WHAT ARE GOD’S RESOURCES?
I'm not a big fan of this question. Primarily, I'd like to think that I'd spare no expense or resource when it comes to aiding people, but I also walk the line of not giving out hand-outs because God wants us to be productive. Secondary, I have a really tough time surrendering in my own life. I don't ask for help often, and even though I know we are all God's resources. I guess the real issue is realizing that surrendering to Him is the only way to find hope.

• MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT GOD HAS LEFT THEM- BUT IN TRUTH, THEY SIMPLY DO NOT RECOGNIZE HIM. DO YOU KNOW WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE?
I don't usually think God has left me, but sometimes it seems as if I'm trying to shake Him off my tail or away from my side. Why? I have no idea. I'm don't think it's because I can't recognize him as much as I think it's that I try to do many things by myself (often times without ever fully surrendering).

• IF I AM TRULY ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY ACTIONS, WHY DO I SPEND SO MUCH TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY OTHERS DO WHAT THEY DO?
Ultimately, I still think I have higher expectations on myself than I do on other people. With that said, I have pretty high expectations on people, government, corporations... everything. But seriously why do any of us spend as much time as we do trying to figure it all out? It's like watching an episode of "Lost." Every time you manage to fine an answer, you just end up with more questions!

Now comes the tricky part. Like you said, "He will not force me to come into His arms." When I was a baby, I had the most difficult time falling asleep (still do). My dad had a special technique he used to use to put me to sleep. He called it "The Clamp." He would cradle me extremely tight and force me to be completely still. Obviously his strength surpassed me, but he forced me to relax, be still, and slowly rest in his arms. I know God won't give me "The Clamp," but that doesn't stop me from wishing He would!

Joelle said...

I have come back to this several times this week. I love that you went for a walk and looked around at where God has you. I do that when I drive. I often ask why we are still in Las Vegas and not on the east coast with you!! God just reminds me this is where we are supposed to be...

Thanks for being you and sharing your thoughts with us. :)

pryorhome said...

Kristopher, I was thinking of you today and in the desire to keep my eyes of the road as Travis was driving! I began to seek you. What did I find???? What I found was so amazing I called Tammy told her were to look. I then read the teachings and the heart of a man of God who in his own struggles is asking the same questions of God we all have at times but don't always have the guts to ask! When I returned home I found my wife in tears! Tears from the moving of the Holy Spirit! We sat and read some more of your teachings and they blessed us deeply!

We have decided to begin to use your teachings as a weekly family devotion. Thank you for taking the step of faith and continuing in the calling that God has placed on your heart so many years ago. Please continue to encourage those around you, teach the word, and leave your heart open to what God wants to do in your heart!