Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Thanksgiving Dream



Imagine a time where the past and future no longer matter and we can enjoy the gifts that are sitting in front of us at face value. An existence where we no longer look behind us and wonder “what if?” or have the questions of “why did they?” or “why did they not?” When the past memories of wounding others and being wounded by hurtful words and actions truly no longer have the power to cripple and debilitate. A time when the concern for tomorrow’s happenings is not used as a desensitizing drug to help make us feel better about our present situations. There is truly nothing wrong with hoping for better days in the future. Whether those concerns are financial, relational, emotional, physical or what have you, it is almost normal to want to shut our eyes to today and long for tomorrow to be here. But when we allow this to become habitual we will miss the incredible blessings and miracles that fill our everyday and thankfulness will not be a part of the equation.

God wants us to be genuinely thankful for today! He has moved mountains to bring us to this point in our lives and we can only appreciate our today if we take our eyes off of all of the distracting pains and hopes of this life and focus on Him. We have so many things to be thankful for. In all honesty, there is some temptation to look at this last year and focus on situations and circumstances that may bring a tear to my eye instead of a warm smile to my face. But those temptations only come from the part of my brain that needs to die. It is the part that wants to focus on the flood instead of the life raft. You see everyone has floods in life that will bring brokenness and destruction but not everyone gets the life raft. There are many people out there who are uselessly and tirelessly trying to stay afloat in their own strength. If only they would turn and accept God's love and salvation they would find that there has been a personal life raft that is awaiting for them as well.

I do not know exactly what is going through your heart today. Maybe you have allowed bitterness to settle in and cause the idea of thankfulness to be repugnant to your senses and your soul. If this is you, please listen to these words and allow the God who created you to melt away the coldness that has settled in. It is through allowing bitterness to remain in your soul that you give ultimate authority to pain and suffering, and they will poison you, suck the life out of you and eventually kill you. This is not God’s plan! God never once, in His word, told us that this life would be easy or that He came to bring you “happiness”. But He did come to bring a life of fullness instead of a broken-down, half-filled life!

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

My prayer is to have a thankful heart that is not anchored to anything of the past, except the sacrifice of God on the cross and the amazing ways He has proven His love. And anchored to nothing of the future except the day I get to stand face to face with my Maker. My ultimate goal is to find contentment and thankfulness right here, right now in this very hour and at this very moment.

Dear Lord,

Thank you for my life. Thank you for this season where I get the chance to focus on the most precious gifts you have given me. First and foremost, I thank you for making a way for us to have a relationship. I have enjoyed the many private walks and conversations that we have. Many times you are not telling me what I want to hear, but thank you for the honesty and for holding me up when I couldn’t walk or stand in my own strength. I thank you for my best friend and partner in this life, Melissa. My wife has taught me so many things over the last 15 years of marriage, but I think this year we will have to call it the year of courage. She has shown me what it means to truly face life even when everything inside tells me to run and hide. I do thank you for our past 15 years and what you will do in the many years of our future. But I am so very thankful for having her here with me right now in this season of life. I am also so thankful for my children. They amaze me everyday! They have helped me laugh when I didn’t feel like laughing. Watching them grow and live their lives continuously brings a smile to my face. Thank you for our precious friends and family that live all over the world. Their prayers and support have been my lifeline to a renewed sense of hope on more than one occasion. I also thank you for the Foursquare family. Our denomination has walked with Melissa and I, during this time of transition, and has loved us for who we are and not for what we could or could not do. This prayer can go on and on because I have so many things to be thankful for. But I will end it by saying thank you God for keeping my heart soft enough to be able to be thankful. I love you Lord!

Amen

No comments: