Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Bring An Offering


I Bring an Offering
By Paul Baloche

I bring an offering of worship to my King
No one on earth deserves the praises that I sing
Jesus may you receive the honor that you’re due
O Lord, I bring an offering to you

The sun cannot compare to the glory of Your love;
there is no shadow in Your presence.
No mortal man would dare to stand before
Your throne, before the Holy One of Heaven.
It's only by Your blood
and it's only through Your mercy, Lord I come!

O Lord, I bring an offering to You, O Lord, I bring an offering to You.
O Lord, I bring an offering to You, O Lord, I bring and offering to You.


I was at church this morning worshipping the Lord when my comfortable space was invaded with an unshakable challenge in the form of this worship song. Do I allow my worship and praise to be directed at other people, circumstances or situations? My answer to this challenge was a quick “no!” because, of course, I only worship the Lord. Then I started thinking of where my heart, thoughts and emotions spend much of their time. It has always been a belief of mine that we worship that which we think is most powerful. That is when it seemed the Lord asked me, “This last week, what or who has been more powerful in your life than me?” And I had to honestly think--was it a health issue, relationship strain, financial situation, emotional wounds, discontent or fear? As these things distract us from worshipping and praising the Lord of Lords and King of Kings, they also demand our worship. They ultimately attach themselves to the core of our being and lay claim to our emotions, time, abilities and even to the people we care for so dearly. We must not allow these distractions to shift our worship’s focus. Believe me--there are times I am so scared by what I am feeling, the confusion that is present and the uncertainty of the future, that I forget about how mighty my God is and begin to question if He can truly take care of me. That is when I have a decision to make. Will I walk in faith or run in fear? Today I have decided to grasp onto my faith and hold firm to God’s promises. I am also praying that tomorrow I can have the same resolve; though, for all practical reasoning, I can not be concerned about tomorrow as there are plenty enough battles to face today.

Lord, please help my life be an offering to you today. May this world and its distractions be unable to shift my focus from your love and your glory. You have always been right there to bring healing, hope, and direction to my life. Thank you for your faithfulness.

Love,

Your Son

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff man... Miss ya.

Rick said...

Our Lord is a strong and powerful God, the One and only One to be worshiped. I Am sorry it has been so long since my last contact on your blog. You are my brother, you and your family are very missed. Having recently returned from Men’s Camp at Cedar Crest, I figured out that I am not the only one having to deal with ALL of the issues you mention in this weeks writing. I agree our worship can only be focused on our Lord and Savior as He is the One and Only I bow down to. I STRONGLY believe our sins, trials, situations, thoughts, fears, wounds and on and on are meant for us to help others through the same “circumstances” we’ve faced. I say that in past tense because I can’t help someone with something I haven’t dealt with. I am unable to see the situation as they see it. I may be able to be sympathetic or consoling but can I truly speak with someone dealing with the thought of having an abortion, an alcohol or drug abuse problems? My answer is no I can’t, I can pray for them and be an earpiece for them to confide or vent to. Can I speak on the issues for dealing with an alcoholic and abusive father, having been betrayed by a friend and the feelings of abandonment? You bet, I have worn those shoes and walked through that Valley. I am not ashamed nor am I looking for sympathy, I am simply stating that we need to be there for one another and MOST of the times STAND IN THE GAP for them. Our FAITH in God should never be questioned, however it can be expected to be tested. Our Faith and Hope in God are all we truly own, would we really consider giving that up? I can think of nothing more important!! I understand what you are saying and how the mind can wander during our alone time with God. We must never allow anything outside the scope of God to enter our core. This will only break us down from within. The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you. Can you stand on that statement? I pray this for you and yours, Amen.

Your true friend,

Rick

Joelle said...

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

I love this Rick.

Joelle said...

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

I love this Rick.