Sunday, November 16, 2008

Speak Now As Your Servant Is Listening



1 Samuel 3:4
Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, "Here I am." And he ran to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." But Eli said, "I did not call; go back and lie down." So he went and lay down. Again the Lord called, "Samuel!" And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." "My son," Eli said, "I did not call; go back and lie down." Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord : The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. The Lord called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, "Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.' " So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

Samuel was only a young man when the Lord first tried to get his attention. As time passed, his conversations with the Lord became an every day occurrence. Like Samuel, this week, on many different occasions, it seemed as if the Lord was asking for my attention. His message came in many forms and through many voices but, similar to Samuel, it arrived in the form of a restless night of sleep. I think the longest I was able to sleep last night was 30 minutes, as I kept having this one repetitive dream. Many things can be said about dreams and what they mean, but when I woke up the final time, it seemed pretty clear to me what the Lord was telling me. The details of the message are still for my wife and I to pray about and to apply in His time. But the overall message of what it seemed the Lord was speaking is the same message He told Samuel oh so many years ago. “And the LORD said to Samuel: "See, I am about to do something that will make the ears of everyone who hears of it tingle.” This portion of scripture out of verse 11 is referring to what God was about to do in Israel and in the family of Eli, the High Priest at the time. But it is amazing when God is up to something. It is always miraculous and causes those who are watching to stand in awe.

Three Steps to Hearing God’s Voice

1. Become desperate for Him
When we allow everyone else to fill our minds with their opinions, we tend to try all of those ideas before we run to the One who knows us best. I personally am finished running to anyone or anything but the Lord. I have learned that the answers found that are farther than 2 feet from the foot of the cross are often full of good intentions, but not usually the complete truth. We must be desperate to hear from Him! He has answers and comfort that no one and no thing can bring. Why settle for the imitation when our God is sitting there waiting with arms open wide to help bring peace for today and hope and direction for tomorrow?

2. Turn down the volume of life
We must not allow all of the noise of life to tune out the gentle and amazing voice of our Savior. One of the most effective plans of the enemy is to encourage you to have life so full and busy that it feels like you’re practically spinning. It is only when we take control of our schedules and step aside from the noise pollution our busyness brings that God can be heard. I believe that there are times when the Lord allows us to fall on our faces because it is the only way we will slow down long enough to hear His heart and accept His healing touch.

3. Quit assuming God is not active
I find myself very guilty of this problem. Even this morning, when I woke up and it seemed the Lord was not only getting my attention but bringing direction--which is something we have been praying for--I began to question if it was Him speaking or just my imagination in overdrive. Why is it that we pray for God to do miracles and then when He does them, we try to find all of the reasons that maybe it wasn’t Him after all?! It’s time that we grow up and allow our lives to walk in the faith that God has granted us! The faith that I am encouraging is one that allows us to assume that God is still in the business of performing daily miracles.

When I continue to read the stories that surround Samuel and his life, I become slightly jealous at the ease of his relationship with his Maker. I pray that the Lord would count me worthy enough to be used in a fashion that would shape nations and speak direction to God’s people. But I know that this will only take place when I am willing to let Him speak to me and give me direction.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Dude. So excited that you were able to receive God's word for YOU! That is huge and great and wonderful and I am smiling very much. You are on our hearts every day.

shontell said...

I love this story. And your three points were excellent.
And, I would like to show Jessie's enthusiasm, but only if the word you recieve involves you moving to Reno. It really is God's country.

kris and mel said...

i thought that Texas was God's country?