Friday, October 10, 2008

Ahhhh! I Am Stuck On A Roller Coaster!



When is the last time you have been to an amusement park? Do you remember the feeling you got as you plummeted head first, downward on that coaster, trusting that as you almost hit the ground, the track will bring you skyward once more? Could you imagine being strapped into this roller coaster and not just experiencing it for a two-minute ride but for an undetermined duration? Over the last 10 months, I have begun to believe that was just how my life was destined to be--full of ups and downs, spinning, getting thrown from side to side only to ultimately find myself sick and wanting to get off of the ride. But the Lord is not that type of God and He does not want that type of confusion in our lives. So what must I do to quit riding this ride voluntarily, all the time believing that I have no choice and must be stuck? Here are a few encouragements out of scripture that I have set as high priorities for me to live by. They have assisted me greatly in getting off of the crazy ride of uncertainty and have helped me rest in a peace that is beyond my own understanding.

#1 Be an ambassador of Christ, of what He has done, of what He is doing, and of what He promises to do, rather than a representation of this world’s desires mixed with our shortcomings and failures.

#2 You must quit blaming and battling the people who surround you and take the fight to the true battlefield, which is your relationship and trust in God.

#3 Fear God and God alone, for that which you fear you serve, and that which you serve is your master!


Here is a personal testimony out of my own life how the Lord stepped into my confusion and brought life.

A few months ago I woke up and did not recognize who I was. No, I wasn’t going crazy, but so many things in my life had changed that the only thing that looked the same was my face in the mirror. And even that had a stressed look to it! Where I lived had changed, my income had changed, the weather had changed, where I work had changed, my occupation had changed, what my wife and I were talking about had changed, and of course, my children never stop changing. It was as if I was standing there looking at a stranger. The emotions evoked in me caused me to break every rule that was just mentioned. I began to be an ambassador of the world’s desires and my own shortcomings and failures instead of Christ and His hope and love. I quickly starting blaming others and was looking to do battle in all of the wrong places. Then I began to feel the shackles begin to wrap around my heart and allowed fear of the unknown to become my master. It shackled me into the seat of the roller coaster and my thoughts and emotions began to take over and pushed me into panic. This is when the Lord reached into all that I am and reminded me once again that I was created and ransomed for a greater purpose than to allow powerless chains to strap me down and steal even a moment of this precious life.

Luke 4:16-21
He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."


Jesus promised freedom! This freedom is ours for the taking but we must not allow the illusions of our entrappings to keep us from believing in and following the promises of Him who paid for our lives by laying down His own.

(Please pray this prayer)

Dear Lord,

Thank you for the price you have paid for me. I give you my doubts and fears and ask that you once again take control of my memories, my present situations and my hope for the future. Forgive me for believing the lies that surround me. Please help me hear your voice and show me what you see when you look at me. I love you and I commit today to not allow anyone or anything to push me back into the seat of that roller coaster. I am free and will live as one who has been set free.

Thank you Jesus!

Amen

No comments: