Monday, March 15, 2010

Looking for a Sign



John 6:25-27

When they found him on the other side of the lake , they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?” Jesus answered, “ I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

This scripture brings to light a very sad part of our humanity that if we are not careful can and will easily rule our lives and poison our relationship with our creator. Jesus had just finished doing an amazing miracle where he took five small barley loaves and two fish and fed 5000. There was even enough food that people were full and there were many baskets left over. Following this miracle, many of the people believed that Jesus was the Messiah.

What happened between the day before, where the people were ready to believe in the person of Christ, and the next day, that Jesus himself felt the need to point out that those present were only their to fill their stomachs once more?

#1 Time
We tend to forget so easily how amazing the Lord is.

#2 Hunger pains
Too many times those things we hunger for will only mislead us. This is why the Bible tells us to hunger for righteousness.

#3 An easy way out
This is a hard truth but the longer I live the more that this can easily rule my day.

Before we begin to judge and think of how crazy these people must have been, let’s take a look at our own lives and evaluate how and why we run and look for our Savior. To begin the introspection, please allow me to share an example out of my own life where my broken humanity tried to win the day and rule my motives.

The Lord has sustained our family in some of the most amazing ways. He has shown us grace and mercy, provided solid friendships, lead us through turbulent waters, opened the hearts of friends and family to give us a roof over our head and food on our table, and at times even given us what we needed before we knew we needed it.

If the Lord did all this and more, then why do I keep running to him and accusing him of being distant and non-responsive. Just the other day I was taking a quick peak into my checking account and was saddened by the numbers that were present. I went to the piano and began playing one of the songs that I have added to my personal worship favorites, We Will Remember, by Tommy Walker. As I played it and sang this song to the Lord, (I was trying to draw near to Him) I felt the Lord ask me a poignant question.

Would you be seeking me like this if you did not have a need?

He then said something like this to my heart…

Kristopher,
I love you and have been with you every step of the way. I have no plans on leaving you. In fact, I am hoping that we can continue to grow in relationship and walk this path of life together. However, please come to me because you simply love me and enjoy my presence and not just because you feel desperate and have run out of places to find hope.

This was a shameful and real God conversation for me. As we seek Jesus, may it be with pure motives. Jesus is not our meal ticket, He is our creator, redeemer, savior, and friend.

He longs to spend time with us and allow us to understand Him in new ways that will help stabilize and strengthen our lives.

My challenge for today…

Spend time with Jesus, simply because He is Jesus.

No comments: