Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In God's Time


At this they tried to seize Him but no one laid a hand
on Him because His time had not yet come.
John 7:30


During this life there will be moments where we find ourselves basking in the radiant sunshine only to turn the corner and feel entrenched in the darkness of shadows. There are lessons to be learned during each of these stages. However, it is crucial to our existence that we have the understanding that in both situations our God is present and unchanging.

On many occasions the Bible speaks of situations where the main characters in the story were about to be killed, maimed, and wounded, but the Lord did not allow the destruction to befall them. Scripture after scripture speaks of times with Jesus where He was able to walk untouched through the crowds of those who desired to harm Him. Other examples are Daniel, Gideon and his army, King David, the three brothers Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednigo and many others. Have you ever thought of adding your name to that list? That long list of heroes of the faith, that though they were human, loved their God and served Him valiantly. Adding your name to that list has nothing to do with the word hero or the rush of pride that comes with that title. The ability to add your name to that amazing and miraculous list has everything to do with our God and His most wonderful love. In truth, there is not one person mentioned in scripture, besides Jesus, that deserved the love that God offered them. They each had sinful desires, moments where fear overtook their faith, acts of disobedience, and a tendency to self-destruct. Our God did not look at them and disqualify them. Instead, He took their weaknesses and used the person in spite of themselves. Their name is on that list because God made it so and made the decision to love the unlovely.

Though I hope this conversation brings you to a sobering realization of what we are really made of, there is not a stone of judgmentalism hidden behind my back waiting to be launched. This realization should bring each of us to our knees and remind us of our need to run to our only hope. I am so thankful that the Lord has placed my name on His most protected list. This doesn’t mean that the lion’s cannot devour my flesh or that I will not be burned in the fiery furnace. But it does assure me, that like Jesus, there is no one or nothing that can overtake or consume my life until the right time- which is God’s time. And when that time is to come it will not lead to destruction but to a perfect graduation.

Scripture also gives us many examples of God’s people laying down their own desires, painful moments, scarred memories, and ultimately, their very lives, to follow and honor their God. As I have grown older and served the Lord, my biggest fears are not found in the possibility of losing this life or the pleasures that surround it, my fears are wrapped up in the idea of whether God is or is not in control. On those days where I can bask in the rays of His presence and I am able to sense His guidance, my fears are subsided and I can raise my head high. However, on those days where the voices that are hidden in the shadows keep screaming my name and the waves of fear seem to be rising higher than the foundation I am standing on, my faith begins to crumble. As I read out of John today the Lord reminded me that my life is in His hands- even in those moments where my worries have blinded me to the truth of His overpowering protection.

Whether you feel that your life is basking in the sun or walking ominously through the shadows, nothing can steal you away from the loving arms of God. Run to Him! Allow Him to renew your hope and give you strength. He is an amazing God with an amazing plan. The shadows that may seem to be controlling your life may only be there to remind you how desperately you need the sweetness of God’s embrace.

No comments: