Saturday, July 4, 2009

Forget Titles That Define You


"This has been one of the biggest lessons that I am learning during this season of life. Since I was a child, there have been many titles given to me, and adjectives used to describe what other people see in me--some of them positive and some of them negative, some of them unfair and some of them earned, some that are honoring and some that are embarrassing. I am learning that no matter what titles are wrapped around my neck, the only voice that I need to listen to, when it is time to begin defining who I am, is the voice of the Lord. He has called me precious and more importantly, He has called me His own." (Step by Step 6/19/09)


If I were to ask you who you were and what are you made of, the first thing you would probably do is start telling me things you have done in the past, habits you partake in on a regular basis, and probably a few titles that you wear like a badge to proclaim to the world around you just who you are. I am writing this to tell you that none of those things tell me who you are. Who you are has to do with the thing inside of you that makes you tick. That secret that was spoken between God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit about the purpose they created you for, and what special features they would give to you.

WHO AM I???


When you slow down enough to ponder about this all delicate question, "Who am I?", do you think of God and what He has made you to be? Or do you think only of your failures and your achievements, allowing the world to create a name, rank and serial number that was never yours to carry? This world has no way to look into the depths of your heart and see what is waiting to bloom; and so it truly has no authority to name and label you. But God looks beyond your crap, beyond your personal achievements, beyond what you see in the mirror, and looks into the seeds that He knows are waiting to grow. He knows they are there because He placed them there. He created you with that purpose in mind.

Imagine making bread. If we stopped in the middle of making bread and truly thought that the process was finished, we would most likely decide to throw it out and title it a waste because it is messy, gooey and has no real use. That is until you let it rise and fall and then place it in the oven. Then when that is all done and it is finished… mmmmm good! Fresh bread that not only smells great, but brings a comforting smile to my face with each bite I take. I love fresh bread and have to say compliments to the chef for not stopping in the middle of the process to name and judge the food that was being prepared.

We are all still in the process of becoming that which God has planned from the beginning of time. The next time you are asked who you are, or are looking in the mirror and deciding what label you are going to place around your neck, ask the Lord what He sees. You will find that He sees a child who has been fearfully and wonderfully made in His image. He loves you and simply wants you to know that you are His.

Jeremiah 1:4-5 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

1 comment:

Unto The Least of These said...

Kristopher,
That is such a beautiful, inspiring message! Thank you for sharing your insights. ~Suzanne :)