Friday, June 19, 2009

Remember to Forget… and Don’t Ever Forget to Remember

This last couple of weeks has been full of ups and downs for me.
I would like to blame a person, circumstance or maybe even God for this instability. However, the Lord has shown me that the emotional heart spasms were a direct result of forgetting the things I need to remember and remembering and dwelling on the things that I need to surrender to the Lord and forget. Over the next 8 weeks I will take the time to give you a glimpse of how I am trying to apply this encouragement from the Lord. It would be nice if this teaching could explain how I crossed the finish line and have succeeded in applying and living each of the truths and challenges that I am about to write. Though, it would be nice, it is not something I can say, as each of these points have different battles attached to them that are still being faced.

Why does it seem that as I try to focus my eyes on the Lord and follow His ways it seems that the human factor keeps pulling me in different directions. I am praying that as I share these truths with you that the Lord will cement them into my heart and  bring encouragement to yours.





Forgetting...
Forget Your Past Failures
There are many things that we must learn from our past failures, but once you have learned those lessons it is crucial that you do not keep mulling over the mistakes. It will keep you in bondage. Christ has done everything needed to bring freedom. We just need to walk in that freedom.

Forget Disappointments of Others
The longer we choose to hold on to grievances and wrong doings the more emotional pain we allow to linger in our hearts and mind. Imagine being rushed to a doctor and they take out the bullet that was shot at you. It is a miracle that you are alive. Then as soon as you get enough strength you take and look at the bullet and then shove it right back into the whole. That sounds crazy! It is exactly what happens if we do not forgive and release the bullets that caused our past wounds.

Forget Titles That Define You
This has been one of the biggest lessons that I am learning during this season of life. Since I was a child there have been many titles given to me and adjectives used to describe what other people see in me, some of them positive and some of them negative, some of them unfair and some of them earned, some that are honoring and some that are embarrassing. I am learning that no matter what titles are wrapped around my neck the only voice that I need to listen to, when it is time to begin defining who I am, is the voice of the Lord. He has called me precious and more importantly, He has called me His own.

Forget About Chasing The Perishable
It is crazy to watch our society try to function in a world where they can’t just go and buy everything their hearts desire. If you take a moment to look around you will see fathers who rationalize working too much to provide their child with unneeded toys and a house that is too large to keep clean without a maid. You will see mothers talk themselves into giving away precious memories that will never be able to return again in order to have the newest items. Marriages that can’t grow because no one is taking the time needed to invest intimately, and a world that is crumbling around us as they look for something that will last. Everything this world offers is temporary and it is high time we start putting our energy and precious commodities into things that are eternal.



Remembering...
Remember that God will Always Walk With You
There are days that go by where it seems God is hiding from me or has possibly left the planet. Then I press in and play the spiritual game of hide and seek and begin to see that God’s fingerprints are on everything and that He has been with me everywhere I have gone. He has been there the whole time-- loving me, holding me, strengthening me, caring for me. I am never alone!

Remember that God Has A Great Plan
To be honest, it is the thought of  my future that has been the source of much of my turmoil. There are things of the past that have pain and hurt, but most of those wounds are healing quite well. There are situations I face daily that have the potential to create some difficult moments, and yet, the Lord seems to continually guide me through and equip me to handle those obstacles. But looking down the unknown hallway sometimes feels like I am in a scary movie and I just don’t know what is going to happen. Why is it that my mind always wants to revert to the memory of a scary movie where there is something dark and terrible wanting to eat my flesh instead of the idea that God has such a great plan? The end of the hallway is a definite unknown but the character and heart of God for me and my family is good. There is no need to fear!

Remember that God Paid Your Ransom
There will be many moments along the journey where you will be tempted to stop and look at all the reasons that you are not worthy of allowing God to bring great blessings. It is one of the wages of war from the enemy of your soul to remind you of your failures and shortcomings. It is essential that each and every time that you begin to feel that you are out of place and should be rummaging through the junk yard instead of enjoying God’s “five star service” that you remember how Jesus came to this earth and paid your debt. You can raise your head high and look at people in the eye in confidence. This is not because you have found a way to overcome. The freedom and purpose that people will read in your eyes is a direct result of the price that Jesus paid for each and every one of us.

Remember that God Loves you Anyway
All of those reasons that pop into your head of why God could not possibly love you are valid. We do not deserve the love that He is offering. However, He is still offering it! He loves you anyway. He is looking beyond what you look like right now. He doesn’t just see you as something broken, tarnished, and falling apart. He sees what you will look like once he is able to piece you back together and fill you with His love and purpose.


Dear Lord,

I pray that each of these points will touch our lives and help us get out of the way so you can direct and protect us. Show us the things that we need to submit to you-- allow you to carry and help us remember the truth and promises that you have set in place. You are a great God, with a great plan, and we long to get close enough to you that we know your voice and can stop doubting your love.

Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this message really hit home with me. As I look at the checkbook and listen to/ read the news, see what is going on around me... I just want to give in. Thanks for such a powerful reminder of what it really is all about.