Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Forgive me...


Ask for forgiveness to those you have wronged

Matthew 5:23-24
"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.”

From my earliest recollection of getting in trouble this part of the equation is the worst. It was always so much easier to not have to look into the eyes of the wounded and remind myself how badly the bomb that I dropped hurt them. One of my childhood memories was when I was a young teenager and my brother and I went to a Chucky Cheese all-nighter. It was awesome! They gave us all of the coins we wanted. We ate pizza, drank soda and played video games all night long. I think we were in heaven; except for the fact that this large mouse bigger than my dad, named Chucky was running around the place. I don’t think there will be large creatures like that in heaven. As the sun was rising and we had to start cleaning up our mess, they made an announcement for us to bring all the coins to the front desk and to return them. It was at this point that I knew what I had to do. My brother and I looked at each other and without saying a word we started collecting everyone’s extra coins. I would like to say that we were being helpful, but, in truth we had no intention of giving this treasure back. We stuffed all of these coins into our backpacks so no one would see them, and waited for our parents to pick us up. What an incredible opportunity we had before us. We were going to come back and play as many video games as we wanted. This was when Chucky Cheese had some of the best video games in town. Our plan worked well and we made it all the way home. That is until our mother decided to help us clean out our backpacks; without our permission, I might add. She found this huge stash of coins and started asking us silly questions, like, “Where did you get these?” Well of course we were intelligent enough to come up with a story of how they were extra and they said we could have them. At the time I didn’t realize that my mom was smarter than we were and already knew we were lying. As she called around and found out the truth, we were busted-- which wasn’t that big of a deal, because my brother and I always got into trouble. We would get punished, feel bad, and then life went on. This time was different though-- she went crazy on us! She made us go and meet with our Youth Pastor Rick Ouimet and with the manager of Chucky Cheese and tell them what we had done. I had to face these people with tears flowing down my face and tell them we had stolen at least $500.00 dollars in coins. It is funny because for the life of me I cannot remember what punishment we received from my parents but the scar of having to face those I had wronged has never left me.

So now the questions that we all ask come to the surface… Was it really necessary to go and meet with my pastor and the manager? If the Lord forgives me, why do I have to go back and remind that person of the wrong I have done? Haven’t I already caused enough damage? For sure there is timing in all that we do and depending on the offense maybe it is good to give some space to the wounded. Those details will need to be worked out with much prayer and wisdom. However, in time the Lord will show each of us when the moment has arrived to step up and face the wounds we have created. I assure you that the Lord’s heart for you and me is to find reconciliation with one another. I have to pause right now and become brutally honest with you. There is nothing about this part of the equation that is easy or is possible without strength from God. I do not even like writing this segment of my thoughts down! However, this ingredient of the forgiveness process is crucial- not so God will forgive us, but, it will allow life to flow once more.




Hard Truth #1
If you are the one wounded it is important to find resolve to
avoid bitterness and poison to the soul.

Hard Truth #2
If you are the one who caused the damage, then, before you
can truly move forward and offer all that you are to God, you must
take this final step of humility.


Lord, please help us as we deal with wounds and infections in our hearts. Some of these wounds are self inflicted and some have been caused by the carelessness of others. The cause of the wound will never change the plan you have to make each of us whole and complete once more. Please help us learn how to lay our life before those we have wounded and ask forgiveness and allow us to forgive those who damage us. Not one of us deserves forgiveness, but, you gave your very life to assure that each of us will have the opportunity to find healing and health. Please forgive us for our stubbornness and give us strength to face the unfaceable. Show us how to look past all the pain that we feel to be able to see what you see when you look our way.

I love you. Amen

No comments: