Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Complete Joy

6. Make it a point to tell others about what God is doing to repair the brokenness

Acts 20:24
“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.”



Why is it so important to allow others in to see our scars? I call them scars because they have been healed and cared for and although there may still be moments where memories sneak up on you, the pain of the open wound is no longer present. These scars must be shown for three main reasons: 1) To remind yourself of how the Lord has taken your broken self, reassembled your life and given you a future once more. 2) To encourage others and show them that the hands of God are amazingly skilled at the healing process. 3) To worship God.

In 1 John, chapter 1, the scripture is speaking of sharing the wonderful things about the Lord and how, in the end, they do it to make their joy complete. There is something about the dynamic of sharing our life, broken and scarred, with others that will solidify our own personal hope, peace and joy. It reminds me of my relationship with my wife. Over 16 years ago, our friendship began and we fell in love. What if I did not tell anyone of our love for each other? That would have been a short-lived relationship and probably would not have lasted more than a few months. As I tell people about who she is to me, show people her picture, tell of our story and how God is a wonderful guide for our marriage—it is then that what I am saying settles in my heart and begins to cement. Yes, I also have the choice to focus on difficult conversations and desperate times, but why would I want those things to cement and take residence in my heart?

I am here to proclaim to you that God has taken a broken man and is healing him. Where there were wounds, scars are forming. God is taking my life, my marriage, and my family and leading us into a place where we will be more whole than we have ever been before. As I am typing these words, there is a gleam in my eye and a smile on my face. Not because the wounds did not hurt, but because God is amazing and has used the healing process to confirm His hand in my life. I share this with you to make my joy complete.

Thanks for listening…

I challenge you to take a step of faith and share about the scars in your life. I think you will like the results!

1 comment:

shontell said...

sigh. Why don't you live here yet?