Monday, January 5, 2009

And What Do You Hope For?



“Our problem is not so much that God doesn’t give us what we hope for as it is that we don’t know the right thing for which to hope.” Max Lucado from his book God Came Near

When I first read this statement I did not think that it applied to me. What do I hope for that could be wrong? I pray and hope for good health, financial security, strong relationships with my wife, kids, family and friends. When it comes down to it I guess I hope and pray that I have no problems and anyone I know doesn’t have problems either. That we all can be nice to each other and our surroundings will be comfortable. Are you seeing the problem with what I have been hoping for? What kind of faith will grow inside of me, and those that surround me, if everything is easy and there no challenges that present themselves? I think my hope and prayers have been more of a statement that I would like to retire my faith and stop growing. Why do you think that in places like Sri Lanka that their faith is so strong and those who are Christians tend to see God in a much clearer way than those who live here in the USA? It is due to persecution and hardship! They have to face possible retribution for their faith on a daily basis. I do not know the answer here. No one in their right mind would request for pain and persecution but it also seems to be irresponsible to long for a life that has no personal faith challenges.

For those of you who think eating veal is a crime, I do apologize for this next portion of this weeks teaching but it is a great example of what we pray for, hope for and even sometimes fight for. You see the reason that veal is so tender and succulent to eat is that the cow has been living in a box since it was born and will not have the chance to develop its muscles. It will not have the chance to fall down or trip. Most cows that will be turned into veal will not even have the chance to stand. Don’t judge me but veal does taste good. But as far as cows go it has no strength and every part of its body is underdeveloped. We must make sure that we are taking our faith and getting it outside of the box. It must have a chance to stand, to run, to fall and to possibly trip. If we just leave it all packaged up nicely, like veal, then it will never grow strong.

So should we pray for hard times in this life? Like I said earlier! No one in their right mind would request for pain and persecution but it also seems to be irresponsible to long for a life that has no personal faith challenges.

I appreciate the way that Paul explains his outlook on living life.

Philippians 4:11-13 (New International Version)
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

When it comes down to it they key to having a faith that is going to grow healthy, in God’s time and in His way, is to simply trust God with every detail of life journey and enjoy each part of it as it unfolds before our eyes. Sometimes what may unfold will make you scared, angry, hurt, happy, joyful, or even a mix of all of these emotions. Whatever it is that unfolds we must allow the Lord to use it to strengthen us and strengthen our faith!

3 comments:

kris and mel said...

so, are you saying that if we don't endure hardship, we'll be eaten? cause that's a pretty good incentive, if you ask me.

Zeke said...

PK- thanks for this blog! It has been a rough year and I was wandering about - started thinking about the Dahir family and found this (and Mel's blog). I have spent the last few days following your journey and it as helped me realize the work I need to do. Talk about waking up and discovering you have mad so many bad decisions but they can be rectified if you put your trust were it needed to be all along, in Him. I look forward to keeping up with you all in the family blog and getting my dose of your much missed teachings on this blog - Cassandra

Zeke said...

Okay, I am not sure how or where getting eating came about with enduring hardship... is it a metaphorical apple? And, isn't that a whole other subject? Maybe I should focus on religious studies instead of poli sci and criminal justice... miss you guys!!