Friday, January 16, 2009

Beyond the Surface



It is incomprehensible that so many people, including myself, have such a difficult time having faith in the Lord and His plans, yet have no problem talking ourselves into whatever lie we want to believe. I was sitting with my wife and kids the other day watching American Idol and was amazed at all of these horrible singers who think they sound great. It was just bad! There were times that I was so embarrassed for the person that I had to stop watching. I then told my wife that at least I am aware that I don’t sing well. If you have been watching American Idol, you are very aware of the pain that is caused by watching these people who are looking in the mirror and not seeing the truth of their situation. The more I have thought about this dilemma, the more I am reminded that each of us do the same thing in different areas of life. Maybe it does not get televised for the whole world to see but do not be misled—the world is watching.

Here are some examples that I have seen in my own life and watched in others, and at times, am still tempted to believe today.

1. “That person needed to hear what I said! They deserved for me to treat them that way!”
How many times do we say things to people out of anger, pride, jealousy, and/or pain and then try to rationalize why it was OK? We have been mandated to not let unwholesome talk come out of our mouths and it seems that, instead of holding to what we have been asked, we find reasons to believe our excuses.

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

2. “I would forgive them if they just proved to me they are sorry and worthy of forgiveness!”
This is the most unscriptural statement in regards to forgiveness that can be found, but it is a thought that seems to haunt me every day of my life. The Bible is clear that we forgive because Christ forgave us. Not because the other person is deserving, or they have groveled enough, or they have bled enough. Granting forgiveness to others is only possible by someone who truly believes that they have sinned themselves. Once this need for forgiveness is realized it is natural to become thankful for the pardon received and it would be incomprehensible to stand in the way of that same grace and mercy for another. Ouch! I hate writing this stuff sometimes because it is truth but it hurts and I don’t like it…

Mark 11:25
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

3. “I don’t need to do it. I can stop whenever I want to!”
One of the first lies that Satan wants you to believe is that you’re strong enough on your own. You can do it and can handle the whole thing because of your amazing strength and skill. What a load of crap! Forgive the French but it makes me angry to see people make these decisions about life on a daily basis and slowly poison themselves to the place of depression and disparity. You cannot stop visiting that Internet site on your own! You will not stop smoking, drinking, or whatever vice you are dealing with because you are a good person and can quit when you want to. If you do not open your heart and get help, you will slowly poison your life, your family, and your relationship with God to the point where the trespass will become your master! No one wants to hear this but it is true.

Isaiah 40:30-31
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

4. “What is wrong with flirting? It doesn’t mean anything. And it makes me feel good about myself.”
I am convinced that flirting with sin in any fashion is like playing Russian roulette. You place the bullet in the chamber and are hoping that this time the adrenaline rush feels as good as last time, but pray that the bullet of consequence never shows up to collect its payment for playing the game. I was speaking to a woman the other day about marriage and she was telling me that both her and her husband flirt with people all the time and it is just a fun game they play. The truth of what they are doing is opening their heart up to allow other thoughts and feelings to be planted into the core of who they are, and all it will take is for one of those seeds to take root and the game they play will quickly turn into a nightmare. This flirting problem is not just with the people that surround us but it is with each temptation that we allow into the door of our heart.

Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

5. “I’m a Christian. I mean, I am a good person and I don’t too many bad things.”
This statement has been made by more people than any of us would like to admit. First of all, being a Christian has nothing to do with being the “good person” the world pictures. These days, it seems most people think a good person is one who is open and accepting of whatever lifestyle someone chooses to be. The goodness that scripture refers to has more to do with having the character of God than with getting along with everyone. If you claim to know Jesus and profess that He is your Lord and Savior, then He has commanded that we are His ambassadors-- this is not just a good idea--it is the only idea.

Matthew 19:16-17
Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only one who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

Each of these examples gives insight into how easily our hearts can be misled and cause catastrophic damage. We must stop taking deceptive ideas about our lives and our situations and attempt to present them as uncompromised truth. We must drill deeper than the surface of what we have tried to paint ourselves to be and find out what is at the core of our being. Are we truly serving the Lord? Are we walking in forgiveness? Are we protecting our families? Are we being true to what God has called us to be? Or have we taken the ugly truth and rewrapped it with a warped sense of reality to a place that we have personally begun to believe the lies?

If you are not careful, you may find yourself standing before an audience, believing with your whole heart that you are something that you are not. Be true to yourself and what God has made you to be. You will be amazed how fulfilling it is to live a life that has been grounded in a foundation of truth.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou. Being open as you are helps calm the storm i currently find myself in.

Anonymous said...

PK- I have been struggling with so many of these same points over the last few weeks. It's funny how the saying "You get what you pay for" can play into so many things we do, not in a monetary sense but spiritually. At least I made the steps to find a new church home and will hopefully find a small group in it that will be a new church family as well. Take care-

Anonymous said...

The love you have for our Lord comes through your teachings. May God Bless you always...

Jessie said...

i would like to thank you for not holding back. especially with your gratuitous usage of the word "crap." you really know how to keep it real. ;)

Seriously, though. you speak Truth, and for that I am very thankful. Keep it up.

shontell said...

I don't think the word CRAP is French, but I think I get your meaning. Also, I have always had a strange fear that I would be one of those people. You know, that my family was too lame to say I can't really sing, so they just keep giving pretend compliments. Do you have anything you want to say to me? I am going to be a good sister and say, again, that you can't sing. Now you never have to go on national television and get the news that way.

Pastor Kristopher said...

Well Shontell-- I thought you would never ask. I think your father is a bit overboard and your mother...

LOL

Love ya- and I have always been honest with you! FREAK!