Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Be Strong- Be Courageous


I have to first apologize for not writing a devotional in a few months. The Dahir family has been through quite a few changes and the time factor has become a little difficult to manage. We have started a new church in the Sparks area called Freedom Fellowship in Spanish Springs. The Lord has been bringing us wonderful people to touch and transform our community. I have also become the Vice Principal of Excel Christian School and help run the sports program, teach, and administrate. It has been a blast to be a part of the faculty at this school and get to know the students that the Lord has put in our care. On top of that, I will graduate in May of 2011 with my Psych degree and a minor in Christian Counseling from Liberty University. I share all of this to catch you up on my life and to lead into today’s devotion.

It is easy to look at all of the work, all of the difficulties, all of the despair and become overwhelmed with the work that is at hand. The idea of being strong and courageous sounds wonderful for about an hour and then when the flood of this life does not begin to recede, become taken by worry and fear. The idea of being strong becomes a dismal dream and any hopes of being courageous are a play-write at best.

Joshua 1:7-9
“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Over the years when I have read this scripture, I would try to use it as a steroid boost in order for me to be stronger and face my life. When Melissa and I read this for our morning devotional there was a totally different message that was being clarified for me by the Holy Spirit. God is not telling me to toughen up and quit complaining! Though that is a good idea. He is saying to stand firm in the truth and keep your eyes on Him. Nothing that Joshua was being asked to do was going to happen because Joshua made it happen. God was telling Joshua to be strong and courageous and watch what He, Yahweh, was going to do for the people He loved so much. This is such an important message for each of our lives. When you look at your life and believe there is no way you are strong enough to face what is before you. I have to agree that you are probably correct. However, you are strong enough and able to stand as a disciplined child of God and watch God, who is strong enough, take care of you and the people surrounding your life.

I hope you are encouraged to be STRONG and to find your COURAGE. God can and will do wonderful things in your midst. You can trust Him!

No comments: