Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New Year and a New Perspective


What is it that causes you and I to be joyful and happy or walk in despair and sadness? At large it seems to be the results of what we have done and/or the results of what others have done to us. I am being challenged to focus on the results of what the Lord accomplished for us when He sacrificed His life to give us a hope and a future. To focus on the Lord is no easy task, however, this is truly the only way that we can look beyond our surroundings and walk in joy.

This last week I was evaluating my year and where the Lord has brought me. At first a nice smile came to my face as I thought of my wife, children, family, friends, and all of the other blessings that the Lord has brought into my life. Then as if on cue the voice of despair began reminding me of things that have been lost and mistakes that were made. Quickly the smile began to depart from my face and tears began to well up. At that moment, I asked the Lord for strength. After praying, The song, The voice of Truth by Steven Curtis Chapman, came on the radio. This was very significant and helpful in allowing me to recognize what was happening in the spiritual realm. This song challenged me to listen to the voice of truth instead of my own voice and the whispers of despair that try to bring bondage to my soul. As the song was playing, I asked the Lord to help me hear the voice of truth. After praying, I slowly felt that the whispered lies I was listening to fade and the presence of the Lord and of what could only be angels reassuring me. I sensed that they were surrounding my car as I drove, protecting me and bringing a light to the darkness. At that moment, all of the feelings of despair washed away. I would love to be able to tell you that I have been on some strange spiritual high since that happened. Instead, I will tell you the truth. The very next day I woke up in fear and began the process of tuning into the frequency of truth sent out by the Lord all over again. This only confirms to me that the Lord is consistent and I am the broken one. How is that I am able to go from the feeling that God’s presence is enveloping me to being scared and fearful of what might be out there?

If I find the answers to this question, I promise to let you in on the secret. For now my hope lies in the fact that every time I run to the Lord, He is faithful and makes Himself known in a way that redirects my thoughts and emotions.

1 Peter 5:5-11
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen

I do thank the Lord for each of the blessings in my life and plan to keep my focus on Him. I believe that as I do this that I will know best how to love my bride, my children, my family, my friends, and whoever the Lord decides to bring upon my path.

May God Bless You! I hope that 2010 is full of much laughter and smiles.

No comments: