Friday, October 16, 2009

Pleasing the Lord



“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”- Psalm 19:14

This is my goal. To simply speak good wholesome and encouraging words, that the things that I ponder upon, put my brain juice and personal emotions towards, would please my Lord. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Did someone who affects your world wake up on the wrong side of the bed? This morning I was helping babysit my nephew and niece and watched how one of them wanted nothing more but to hang out and enjoy a day of toys. He had no regard for what happened yesterday, definitely was not thinking about tomorrow, and was just enjoying the moment he was in. That is until my niece decided to share some of her little grumpiness with her brother. It was funny because I sat here and watched her decide that if she was going to be a grump then for sure others should join her. I would like to say that this is a child-like behavior and that we grow out of these actions and habits; but we don’t. I might even be brave enough to say that our children learn some of these behaviors from us.

Whichever position you find yourself in today, our application to this weeks devotion is very simple- refocus on things that are pleasing to the Lord. He has taken care of the details of our day that bring life. All of the other sources we run to for hope will ultimately bring confusion.

Take the time to stop and write down the top ten things that bring joy to your heart and then thank the Lord for them.

Here are mine…

1. A secure place to find hope. Running to the Lord has always brought me back to my feet and gave me the strength longer than I thought possible.

2. My Melissa, I love waking up and having her in my arms.

3. Watching my oldest son take each step of life and becoming such a wonderful young man.

4. Standing with my son Noah as he dreams about his future with sports, friends, and life.

5. Being able to see and be with my family here in Reno. The kids are loud at times but we sure do love being around to see them grow.

6. Knowing that I have friends who pray for, believe in, and want the best for me and my family.

7. Being a part of helping other learn how to take steps towards the Lord and find the same hope and peace that I get to walk in.

8. I get to take my wife out tonight. Yay for dates!

9. Taking classes in school and doing well. It makes me feel like my life is moving forward to accomplish something that is bigger than myself.

10. Having a Guinness!

No comments: