Sunday, September 21, 2008

Even If...

Do you ever find yourself saying this about situations in life?

Even if…

Even if he or she is not honest… I will be!

Even if everyone else has decided to jump off the proverbial bridge… I won’t!

Even if I get scared… I won’t run!

Even if I don’t understand… I will trust!

Even if they are all crooked… I will walk straight!

Even if it isn’t fair… I will forgive!

Even if it costs me my life… I will not bow!

All of these are wonderful statements and promises of faith. But what happens when it is time to face one of those horribly difficult situations that life produces and, no matter what you pray or how you beg, you are not only asked to continue to face the fire but are also being forced to climb into the furnace?

In the book of Daniel, the Bible tells us an amazing story of how three young men chose to not bow their knee to any but God, and in turn was forced to literally walk into a furnace. To some, it may be a surprise to learn that Jesus was sitting in the furnace with them and that, because of His presence, the flames didn’t scorch them. Yes, that part of the story is miraculous and is the part that would be the climax if a movie were being written. But there was a conversation that took place before the flames ever licked their flesh. This conversation took place between the three young faithful Jewish boys and Nebuchadnezzar, the nemesis King that was demanding of them worship or their very lives. These young men had a choice to acquiesce to the demands before them and do what the crowds were doing, or they could choose to follow through with their promise of the “even if…”

 

Daniel 3:16-18

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

 

The part of this story that hits me square in the middle of my heart has nothing to do with the fact that they are facing the fire, as we all will have fires to face. It is not that there are evil men and woman who will cause pain and fear, as we are all capable of becoming the ones inflicting that kind of destruction. But the difficult part for me was the part where they were going serve their God even if He did not rescue them. They were sure that God had the power to do so. They were staking their whole existence on the fact that God was able. But even if God did not use His power to save them, they would not bow. Now we are dealing with an amazing subject. Why would God not use all of His immutable power, His infallible wisdom, and all of His omniscient knowledge to assure that these faithful young men did not have to walk through the fire?

 

In this story, He did save them; but for every story we read about Him stepping in and altering the situation, there are many where He does not. Why is this so? In truth, we will never have a good answer to this question until we meet Him face to face and understand more than we do while in this broken human form. But scripture gives us a glimpse of His purpose. And for now a glimpse will have to be enough.

 

1. To Bring Maturity and Completion

James 1:2-4

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

 

2. God is untameable and does not work according to our plan

Just think of this awesome song we sing based out of Genesis 1, Psalm 19, and Psalm 150.

 

“Indescribable.” Written by Laura Story

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea

Creation’s revealing Your majesty

From the colors of Fall the the fragrance of Spring

Ev’ry creature unique in the song that it sings

All Exclaiming

 

Indescribable uncontainable

You placed the stars in the sky and you know them by name

You are an amazing God

All powerful untamable

Awestruck, we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim

You are amazing, God

 

Who has told ev’ry lightning bolt where it should go

Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow?

Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light

Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night?

None can fathom

________________ 

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea

Creation’s revealing Your majesty

From the colors of Fall the the fragrance of Spring

Ev’ry creature unique in the song that it sings

All Exclaiming

 

3. Worship comes in many forms

Hebrews 11:32-40

32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37They were stoned[f]; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.  39These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. 40God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

There are many attitudes, memories, unfulfilled expectations, and situations that daily ask me to bow to them. But I decided long ago that I will bow my knee to my God and my God alone.

 

So today I find myself quoting these amazing two words, “Even if…”

Even if I can’t see the future… I will not bow!

Even if I experience pain… I will not bow!

Even if I get scared… I will not bow!

Even if I don’t understand… I will not bow!

Even if it isn’t fair… I will not bow!

Even if it costs me my life… I will not bow!

Even if God does not do all that I think He should… to Him alone will I bow!

As you read Daniel, chapter 3, I challenge you to act as if it were you speaking to the king, and I want you to picture the king as being the very obstacle, habit, attitude, sin, or any other distraction from God’s plan you may be facing. In fact, fill in the blanks with your own name, attitude, sin, memory, pain, or life situation that currently stands before you.

"O _______________, I do not need to defend myself before you in this matter.  If I am thrown into the blazing furnace, the God I serve is able to save me from it, and He will rescue me from your hand, O ____________. But even if He does not, I want you to know, O ___________, that I will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

The Lord is a great God, with a great plan for your life. Run to Him and He will always be right there with you- no matter what brought you to the furnace you are facing. He is only a call away. He loves you, just as you are!

2 comments:

Jenene said...

Nice "hand" pic. Is it just about to go under or is it raising up to be saved...that is MY question. I tend to be an optimist, usually leaning toward "the glass is half full"; however, I awoke the other night unable to breathe, feeling like I was under water and couldn't figure out which way was up. I'm facing some fires right now and I know I'm being tugged away from believing that He will be there to protect me. I really appreciated the "fill in the blanks" for Daniel chapter 3.

Pastor Kristopher said...

You know how Jeremiah 29:12, talks about finding God when we search for Him with all that we are. Well I am coming to the conclusion that the only way that is possible is to come to the end of ourselves. Something has to go! The Kristopher that is strong enough, brave enough, and wise enough, can not be living if I truly want the Kristopher that allows the Lord to be His all in all to grow. So this is a picture of baptism. This picture speaks of death at the same time. But here is the coolest part! The Lord is always right there with us and not once has He taken His eyes off of what is going on. Don't just look to Him or run to Him- CLING TO HIM! He wants the best for you even when the world and its expectations want to destroy you. Even when the situations we face are do to our own stupid decisions. He still loves you and is there to be your all in all.

I will keep you in prayer this week. I hope you can rest better knowing that all the Lord requires of you is to surrender.