Tuesday, July 22, 2008

GROW UP!


I don't want to... I don't want to... I don't want to... 

1 Peter 2:1-3
Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

This week I was continuing with my studying of 1 Peter and I couldn't get past this portion of scripture. What does it mean to grow up in my salvation? Does this mean studying more? Does it mean putting a bumper sticker about being a Christian on my car, talking in Christian lingo or listening to more Christian music? 

I remember, in my younger days, being told in no uncertain terms that I needed to "grow up." Do you remember being a child and making decisions that seemed to benefit you, with no regard for anyone but yourself? I would like to say that I have grown past this behavior, but I find that even now, on many occasions, my first response is still very child-like. When I read this scripture, the Lord reminded me that He does not want me to stay where I am at; rather, He wants me to continue to grow in what He has for me.

Here are a few questions that I have been asking myself in regards to my own personal growth. Consider it a little self-examination.

1. Do you throw tantrums when you don't get your way?
Just the other day I was watching the interaction of a mom and child at the grocery store. The son wanted a toy and the mother said no. This kid started crying, whining, screaming, and then fell on the ground, throwing his little tantrum. I am sure none of us want to admit that we behave anything like this. However, if we will look a little closer into our lives, we will see that  these tantrums are usually the cause of most arguments with those we love, as well as the breach in our relationship with God. 

2. Do you always have to be right?
My son is a classic example of having to be right. He is only 10 years old, but you would think that he has outlived us by more than 100 years, simply by the way he tries to prove how wrong we are, and how correct he is. Here is what I have learned about being correct:  if I have to argue and fight with someone to prove that I am right, then it probably means that I am insecure about my answer and that I am actually probably wrong.

3. Do you take the time for the healthier things in life and not just the experiences you enjoy?
Or as the famous song goes, "I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys 'R Us kid, there's a million toys at Toys 'R Us that I can play with! More bikes, more trains, more video games, it's the biggest toy store there is! I don't want to grow, because then if I did, I wouldn't be a Toys 'R Us kid!" 

One would think, as an adult, all of the distractions would disappear and it would be easier to focus on the Lord, and not on things I want and crave for. In reality, this is the farthest thing from the truth. As an adult, I find that I rationalize more often, and create more sophisticated lies to my self of why the distractions are necessities, even to the point where I call these distractions gifts from God. I know this is a touchy point so let me make my point very clear. All of the things we accumulate, all of the titles and accomplishments, and all of the extras in this life are not the problem- unless, they are a problem. So, it is up to each of us, individually, to sit before God, and allow Him to evaluate our heart motives. It is on our shoulders to make sure we have people we can trust, in our lives, that will tell us the truth. And it is crucial that we take the time to look in the mirror and see what is hidden in the darker parts of our hearts.

4. Can you follow?
This may be a strange question to ask, because as a young man, I found myself in so much trouble for trying to follow the crowd. But the Lord is teaching me that He is the only one I need to follow, the only voice I need to hear, the only one who truly knows what is best for me and my family. So, can you follow? Not the crowd, but the Lord?

5. Can a moment of your day go by without it being about you?
When my kids were young it seemed every day was all about them. They needed to eat, sleep, poo, change the poo, laugh, play, and then eat and sleep again. If there was a moment of the day that wasn't about them, they would cry and then make it about them again. One of the results of maturity is the ability to allow life to be about other people and their needs and wants, and not only our own.

Final Bonus Question:
Does my faith fall apart if there are moments in life when I do not understand what God is doing?

My answer to this is a bit more complicated than maybe it should be, but the truth is, it depends on the day. There are some days that my faith seems as strong as it ever has 
been, and I can face whatever is thrown at me. Then there are other days where I feel so immature, insecure, lacking the perspective I need to get through the day. One of my biggest prayers is that the Lord helps me mature to the place where my faith is not tied to circumstance but to His unending love and promises.

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child,
 I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.


Dear Lord,
Please help me grow up and understand that you have a destiny for my life. Give me strength when the growing pains are overwhelming and the doubts set in. Help me to stop acting like a child and grow up in my salvation. Teach me how to be as committed to this process of growth as you are. I do love you and trust you. Amen


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you quoted the Toy-R-Us song instead of the lyrics to the Pussycat Dolls' song "When I Grow Up!"

Jessie said...

Ahhh... another year older, another year wiser. Happy birthday, dear friend. I have to tell you that what I am witnessing through this little blog of yours is a deeper, more raw and more pure and more true understanding of life and God than I have ever seen before in you. The honesty in which you share your heart here is refreshing. Thank you for your willingness to be REAL without fear. You are in our prayers daily, friend. :)